September is almost halfway over so we are going to delve into a smaller, easy-read. We are going to read Through His Eyes - Rethinking What You Believe About Yourself by Virginia Hinckley Pearce. Sister Pearce is President Hinckley's daughter. I heard her speak at Time Out for Women and I loved her down-to-earth feel and sense of realness. I have wanted to read this book for a long time.
Please leave your comments in the comment section of this post on the last Thursday of the month - even if you haven't read the book in its entirety. I know it can be difficult to find a time to meet for Book Club, so I feel an Online Book Club is the second best thing. We can learn so much from each other from the comfort of our own homes. I hope you will join us!
I loved this book. She is so practical and optimistic. It really made me think about my thoughts-- and how they turn into beliefs that may or may not be true. I loved the process she sets forth on how to challenge if what you believe is really beneficial or not-- or even true! A while ago I read a book by Dr. Amen on anxiety and depression. He talks in his book about negative "ants" and our thought process. He gives ways to combat these "ants" and he explains the scientific effect our thoughts have on our brains. Virginia's book is like the spiritual component that was missing from what he explains. Anyway-- great pick for a nice uplifting read that also made me want to improve.
ReplyDeleteI thought this was a very easy read which was nice. I struggled a little to pull out all of my irrational beliefs and put them on paper. Sometimes I don't even realize my beliefs are not "True" as she defines them. I almost need someone to give me a reality check and say, "Hey Michele, you know how you think such and such is true? Well, it's not." So, if I have any weird thoughts or beliefs that you are aware of, please give me a shout out and let me know. :) There were a few points in the book that really touched me:
ReplyDelete1. I am constantly amazed at the Gift of the Holy Ghost. On Page 47 Sister Pearce said, "The Holy Ghost provides us with spiritual experiences- new data - that, if we allow it, will change the beliefs that help us filter and interpret all of the other data." I need to constantly remember that by the power of the Holy Ghost, I may know the truth of ALL things.
2. When I am faced with a belief, I need to ask, "Whose mission does this belief support - Christ or Satan's?
3. "Scriptures help us to think clearly, to see things as they really are, to identify and nourish Truth. We must allow scripture to stretch our reason back into shape. We must allow scripture to teach us how to think straight, because by ourselves we don't; we think bent, we think crooked."
4. Boyd K. Packer said, "True doctrine, understood, changes attitudes and behavior. The study of the doctrines of the gospel will improve behavior quicker than a study of behavior will improve behavior." I have heard this a thousand times - I need to remember it.
5. The temple is a place of revelation. We know that Satan and his lies are barred from the house of the Lord. It is a place where we literally shut out the world, along with its half-truths and lies. If they come in, it is because we have brought them with us.
6. "One of the gifts President Monson gives us as members is a call to slow down. As we listen to him speak, we can almost feel ourselves slowing down a bit - entering a world that isn't about lists or the clock but rather about listening and responding to the promptings of the Holy Ghost."
7. "I find it curious that knowing we are accountable to God is less intimidating than thinking we are accountable to people we will probably never see again."
I loved this book! I liked the idea of "de-cluttering" my thoughts and beliefs. It made me think about what my beliefs are and why they are my beliefs.
ReplyDeleteI loved her advice on page 94; Keep it small, Keep it simple, Give it time. I am trying to have this attitude in my parenting, my marriage and in all the ways that I am trying to improve in my life. This also made me think about my belief priorities and makes it easier to "de-clutter" by setting aside the beliefs that I really don't need to keep.
I also liked the part about slowing down, I feel like when I live my life by a checklist I miss things that the spirit is trying to teach me or inspire me to do, and also that I miss out on so many of the beautiful things around me.
Thanks for the book, it was a great read!